As the cold weather sets in, we have been getting back into model making. Our latest creation is the fourteen-eyed baby Ohm from the legendary anime Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.
1) The kit comes with coloured plastic sprues of one Ohm, Nausicaa, and Teto.
2) Here is the constructed model before painting. The Ohm’s eyes come in clear plastic, you can choose to paint it blue (when its calm) or red (when its angry). You could also add LEDs instead of painting, but we are not going so high-tech here – angry it will be!
3) In the film, Nausicaa came to the rescue of the baby Ohm when it was wounded and captured. We drilled into the Ohm shell and glued on harpoons to recreate this scene.
4) Contrary to the guide we painted the Ohm grey. In the film the rescue happened in the dark, so the Ohm never looked green to us.
5) Here is the completed Ohm with the eyes glued on.
6) Metallic blue paint was mixed with simulated water to model the Ohm’s injuries.
Taking a welcome break from painting millions of minute Roman figures, we are building a Spitfire!
The final two Monsterpocalypse factions are here! Joining team Protectors are the Terrasaurs – cold-blooded reptilian creatures with warm regard for mankind.
Standing with team Destroyers are the Martian Menace – hostile visitors here to plunder Earth of its inhabitants and resources.
Our latest completed model is the Greek Hoplite – a common citizen-soldiers that can quickly take up arms to go to war. They are typically armed with a spear, shield, and sword.
1) Included in the kit are the sprues for the 1:16 figure, armour, weapons, decals and a base.
2) Here is the partially assembled model ready for priming.
3) The skirt was shaded with three colours, here is the finished outcome that we are particularly proud of.
4) This model came with some decals for the shield, but some details on the artwork are missing. For example the edge of the shield had to be drawn on and painted by hand.
5) Once all the parts were painted, they were varnished with a wash. Various shades were applied, for example, a flesh tone was applied to the skin and a purple/blue tone to the armour.
6) Another detail that was not included were the ropes inside the shield, lining the spear, and attached to the sword. To make the rope, we plaited together three threads (to add thickness) and glued onto the various parts using superglue.
7) Finally, we stuck the figure on to the base and added vegetation.
8) Here is our finished model:
Available at Space Craft from today are two new fractions from Monsterpocalpse. Fighting for the Protectors are Shadow Sun Syndicate – the mysterious, scientifically engineered ninjas.
Joining the Destroyers force are the Lords of Cthul – dark beings here to enslave the human race. Here are our painted figures:
Also new this week are six new buildings to spice up your game. Each building comes with their own stat card. Upon destruction, they can benefit or harm your monster depending on your agenda (whether you are a Protector or Destroyer).